Penny Power is a fun and effective way to contribute to a designated project of VMM. Half the money raised through Penny Power at the Virginia Mennonite Relief Sale (http://www NULL.vareliefsale NULL.com/VRS-Web/DesktopDefault NULL.aspx) each year goes to a VMM project (or two) and half goes to a project of Mennonite Central Committee (http://www NULL.pennypower NULL.org/).
In 2012, Penny Power raised a (preliminary) total of $30,300 (pending more post-relief sale counts). The funds that this successful annual campaign has raised was divided equally between projects Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) and Virginia Mennonite Missions (VMM).
MCC will fund emergency relief in Syria and Lebanon, and VMM will fund ongoing tornado relief and rebuilding in West Liberty, Kentucky, (particularly replacing destroyed playground equipment at the school).
Download Penny Power 2012 video
MP4 file (https://vimeo NULL.com/47173372/download?t=1344441748&v=111587637&s=16f02f28d00a59bafe8fbbe3e80f39d1) (640×472 / 12MB) Player will open, right-click on video, and “Save video as…”
Original file (https://vimeo NULL.com/47173372/download?t=1344441748&v=111579729&s=7c0eefe3bb1d723517aa0723b701a98d) (720×480 / 74MB)
Results from 2012 Virginia Relief Sale
|Eastern Mennonite University||139.71|
|Family of Hope||132.14|
|Verde Wash, Inc.||100.00|
|Miscellaneous or not clearly marked||13.16|
A few Penny Power jugs left over…
After the Relief Sale, there were six jugs that remained behind in the Penny Power counting area. If your congregation’s jug is missing, we can get it back to you. Please stop by the Virginia Mennonite Conference Center, 901 Parkwood Drive, Harrisonburg.
My church wants to do Penny Power! How does we get started?
Tape the enclosed label onto a jug, jar or can. Blue water jugs are the most popular option, and can be picked up at Virginia Mennonite Missions, 901 Parkwood Drive, Harrisonburg, Va.
Place promotional materials in a prominent spot in your church or organization near the jug(s). Then simply drop your coins into the container and watch it fill up!
How can our church promote Penny Power?
Here are just a few creative ideas:
- Designate Penny Power as the offering project for Vacation Bible School.
- Give all or part of the money from a church fund-raiser to Penny Power.
- Highlight Penny Power during your Sunday morning worship service. This could be every Sunday or just once a month. One church sings a special song during this time.
- Have children fill a small container with coins at home, then give them a reward for each full container of coins they bring to church.
- Borrow “Rhythm of Change: What can you do for Penny Power?” a 4-minute DVD from VMM for more information about Penny Power.