From the writings of the Apostle Paul
1. Pray for open doors
“Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with thanksgiving. At the same time pray for us as well that God will open to us a door for the word…” (Colossians 4:2,3)
- Pray that God will open doors of ministry, partnership, and friendship.
- Pray that the Holy Spirit will lead mission workers.
2. Pray for boldness
“Pray also for me, so that when I speak, a message may be given to me to make known with boldness the mystery of the gospel… Pray that I may declare it boldly.” (Ephesians 6:19-20)
- Pray for effective cross-cultural communication.
- Pray for boldness to speak God’s Word.
3. Pray that the Word of God will spread
“Finally, brothers and sisters, pray for us, so that the word of the Lord may spread rapidly and be glorified everywhere.” (2 Thessalonians 3:1)
- Pray that spiritual forces of evil will not hinder the spread of the gospel.
- Pray that the Word of God will be received with joy.
4. Pray for protection
“Pray that we may be rescued from wicked and evil people; for not all have faith.”
(2 Thessalonians 3:2)
- Pray that the Lord will guard mission workers from the evil one.
- Pray that the Holy Spirit will change the hearts of those who hear the Word.
5. Pray for God’s guidance in travel; pray for refreshment of body, mind, and spirit
“Pray that by God’s will I may come to you with joy and be refreshed in your company.” (Romans 15:32)
- Pray for protection and provision in travel.
- Pray for spiritual refreshment from the Holy Spirit in the company of other believers.
When praying for mission workers and volunteers, pray for:
- A growing relationship with God
- Time and energy to nurture that relationship
- Deep awareness of God’s love
- Availability of spiritual mentors
2. Emotional needs
- Growing sense of God’s presence
- Loving relationships
- Healthy self-image
- Ability to adapt to another culture
3. Physical needs
- Health and strength
- Adequate living conditions
- Safety in danger
4. Family relationships
- Healthy give-and-take
- Dealing with family concerns far away
- Finding “family” where they are
5. Team relationships:
- Ability to work in harmony
- Courage to be honest
- A sense of appreciation for others
6. Effective ministry
- Grace to live and communicate the gospel
- Eagerness to learn from another culture
- Fluency with other languages
- Open doors that lead to changed lives
7. Country of service
- A stable political situation
- A good relationship with government
- Patience to deal with bureaucracy
- A vibrant church